In 1839, families of Williamstown felt the need to establish a church in their community. On February 19, 1839, John and Peggy Humphreys signed the deed granting land for what was known as Ebenezer Methodist Episcopal Church of Williamstown, in what was then Somerset County. At the General Assembly in June of the same year, the charter for the church was approved. The pastor at that time was Rev. Joseph Carlisle.
The original church building had a gallery for slaves and freed African-Americans. Persons of both races worshipped together until after the Civil War, when a church for African-Americans was built on land donated by Daniel Melson. About 1861, the community known as Williamstown and the church known as Williamstown Ebenezer M. E. Church became known as Rockawalkin M. E. Church.
A new church was the topic of church conversation in the spring of 1871. In June of that year, Josephus Humphreys deeded a tract of land for "divine purposes". The contract was given to E. J. Pusey at a cost of $1,299. The church was completed on December 9, 1871 and on December 10, 1871, was dedicated by Rev. J. S. Ostrander. The old church is what we know now as our main sanctuary.
In June 1942, the trustees agreed to wire the church for electricity. The work was agreed to and completed within the same month. The work was done by Alfred Baker of Delmar.
In April 1947 a discussion took place about building a new Sunday School room to join the church. The new building was begun in December 1947 and completed in September 1948 at a cost of $6,000.00. The main church auditorium was refinished at the same time. The new addition was dedicated on October 3, 1948.
In 1983, the dream of having a building to house our Sunday School became a reality. We had ground-breaking services on Sunday, June 26, 1983 and started building our Sunday School addition. The old Sunday School Room, known as the Wesley Fellowship Room, became a part of the sanctuary. Early in 1984, we moved into the new addition.
On December 10, 1989 we celebrated our 150th Anniversary of continued service. Bishop Joseph H. Yeakel and Dr. P. Thomas McKelvey, our District Superintendent, joined us in our celebration. During the afternoon service, the mortgage for the new Sunday School addition was burned.
On June 17, 2007 a new steeple was dedicated. In 2008 new lights were installed in the sanctuary and monitors were added to make it easier for all to see the song lyrics and announcements.
Our most recent addition was the outdoor worship center known as Crossroads Community Connections. This outdoor worship center allows us to take Jesus into the community and hold outdoor services, concerts and other events.
In December 2021, we disaffiliated from the United Methodist denomination and became Rockawalkin Church, Inc., a non-denominational church.